May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month so I visited my dermatologist for my annual skin cancer screening.
1. Melanoma is the fastest growing and most deadly type of cancer.
2. One out of five Americans will eventually develop skin cancer.
3. 40-50% of Americans will develop skin cancer by the age of 65.
4. With awareness, skin cancer can be easily prevented.
5. In Caucasians, most skin cancers present initially on the skin itself, usually in areas of sun exposure such as the face, scalp, back, nose, and arms.
6. In Asian, African, or Hispanic people with darker complexions, melanomas often present in non-sun exposed – or less pigmented – areas such as the palms of the hand or on the nail beds.
I highly encourage you to see a dermatologist annually to get your skin checked.
If you have trouble viewing this video, you can watch it here.
Need expert advice from a licensed esthetician? Schedule a virtual consultation to get customized advice in person, over the phone or online via Skype or FaceTime.
For more expert advice check out the blog. Also sign up for our skin tip e-newsletter, follow Renée Rouleau on Twitter and Instagram and join the discussion on our Facebook page. You’ll be your own skin care expert in no time. Get the #ReneeRouleauGlow!