A new year always brings new opportunities to make some good resolutions. Most people will focus on weight loss (it’s the #1 resolution in the U.S.), but why not make a resolution to be good to your skin and commit to making some positive changes? After all, you’ll wear your skin every day for the rest of your life.
Here are five resolutions for your skin if you’re not currently doing these:
1. Wash your skin nightly. Read five reasons for doing so.
2. Get your beauty sleep. Read why you need it.
3. Don’t pick at your skin. Sign this.
4. Wear sunscreen daily and re-apply mineral powder sunscreen every few hours. See my collection of sunscreens.
5. Determine your skin type—once and for all by taking my Skin Care Quiz.
Already have these tips mastered? Read 34 expert tips and choose a few more from this list.
Did you know that experts in the area of goal achievement say only about 12 % of people actually make their resolutions a reality? Here are seven tips that I have found to be helpful in goal setting and, more importantly, goal achieving.
1. Keep your resolutions simple and be specific. Choose only a few small, attainable resolutions to start. A maximum of three small goals are best or you can pick just one large goal. Change is hard enough as is, so keep it easy.
2. Make sure it realistic. Do you really think you can do this? Think hard about your resolutions and make sure you’re not setting yourself up for failure.
3. Plan your action steps. Success can be better achieved in small bite size pieces. Write down the steps for achieving each goal. It’s like driving—it’s best to map out your drive so you’re crystal clear on how you’re going to reach your destination before you leave your house. Planning is everything. (I personally love to be paperless and have everything handy on my devices, so I use the Evernote app.)
4. Make it time-sensitive. How long are you going to give yourself to make this resolution a reality? Goals without a timeline are just wishes waiting to happen. Be sure to check in regularly to make sure you’re always moving towards a result.
5. Make reminders. We all love it when technology makes our lives easier, so why not use your phone to remind you to stick with your resolutions? Good, old Post-it notes work too! If you’re making skin resolutions, you can use Post-it notes on your bathroom mirror to remind you to do something. A simple “Wash your skin!” Post-it can work wonders!
6. Get support. Don’t go it alone. Ask a trusted friend or family member to help keep you accountable. When you’re in a moment of weakness, call or text a friend to help you stay strong. Being accountable to someone else will always help you succeed in making change in your life.
7. Be patient. There will be times when you have a setback and lose your way. No worries! Just pick yourself back up and keep going. Don’t throw in the towel. Focus on the end result.
I wish you the very best of luck with making 2015 a year of change for the better!
P.S. What’s my personal resolutions for the new year? Read my list.
See all our How To posts.
Need expert advice from a licensed esthetician? Schedule a virtual consultation to get customized advice in person, over the phone or online via Skype or Face Time.
For more expert advice check out the blog. Also sign up for our skin tip e-newsletter, follow Renée Rouleau on Twitter and Instagram and join the discussion on our Facebook page. You’ll be your own skin care expert in no time. Get the #ReneeRouleauGlow!